Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Looks like a lesson learnt the hard way there Chris. A guy in our local TRF club entered Le Touquet a few years ago and bought a new bike to do it. By the race end it was in a right state. Chain, wheel + head bearings, brakes, suspension bushes, fork seals etc etc all needed replacing. Not to mention the electrical gremlins that appeared later. He had to practically rebuild the bike. Water + sand + salt makes an excellent grinding paste!

Been a busy boy today

12795468_651107358361780_1650567668612850208_n_zpszbisbkwq.jpg

Saw this and thought of Salad Fingers. Different I suppose.

TP it was never my intention to drive in sea water. Let's just leave it at that. Perfect way to ruin months of hard work really.

Oil change all filters done yesterday may do a bit of detailing on engine not done slot under the bonnett all winter

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TP it was never my intention to drive in sea water. Let's just leave it at that. Perfect way to ruin months of hard work really.
Is it any worse than the salted winter roads here up north? The road salt is even more agressive than normal sea salt. Brake service is an annual event, as is rust treatment.
Any winter driving is a perfect way to ruin the production of a good car, not only months of work :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Salt is a real killer. When I used to cut rusty chassies back to what I thought was good metal I could smell the Chlorine coming out of the metal. Sodium Chloride + oxy acetylene heat = Chlorine gas + Sodium. I don't know where the sodium went.

The Sodium burnt in your flame - it's flammable.

Didn't actually drive in the sea on the Morocco trip, we did drive through a fresh water river 3 times though, twice on the way off the Plage Blanche. I gave mine a thorough wash off once we got back to Blightly, half a day with a jet wash seems to have done the job

uHu I know it' flammable but I can't think of the stable chemical compound it would turn to. I had a large piece once, about the size of a golf ball, from some aircraft engine exhaust valves. (In the stems for cooling). I wrapped it up in grease and silver foil but lost it lol somewhere in our house. That was 1963 so safe now I would think.

I had some success today...

https://youtu.be/g4Ps-OeFlhI

got my neighbour to sort me some marine ply all cut to the measurements i specified and holy SH*$ balls it all went together! Too dark now to show the almost finished article but wohoo!

Nice runners. I need some for my trailer to put the fridge on. Can't open the damn lid at the moment.

They're slight overkill, up to 300 kgs but seemed the easiest option, they wern't in stock so had to wait two months. i gave up on the cable tray and decided on ply, don't think my brain liked working with metal.

Looks smart. I like those runners as well, and being rated at 300kg I don't think you'll have any problems!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yesterday I changed air filter, engine oil and filter, changed the ATF and the transfer box fluid. Don't know why I bothered with the transfer box fluid - what I took out looked no different to what I put in. Really, I couldn't tell the difference. That was after 30k miles.

However I was surprised at the ATF - expected to drop about 2.5l but I got around 3.5l out. It was also still nice and red and fairly clear even after 30k miles. I've filled it back up with just 3.5l but the level on the dipstick showed just under the "HOT" level. So I added about 300-400ml over the course of yesterday/today but the level doesn't seem to have budged? (Checked with the engine warm and after a run, engine idling, in "N" and gear lever cycled through P-R-N-D-2-L several times) Checked the autobox sump and all is good - no leaks. So am a bit puzzled......I want to avoid overfilling, so will keep an eye on it.

Also managed to remove the centre facia and heater controls etc. to replace the bulbs behind these. The bulb on the LHS of the heater panel have been out since I bought the car nearly 12 years ago! :)oops: ) so was nice to see that side illuminate for the first time! :thumbup:

However I must have not fitted some of the electrical connections when putting it back as now the rear heater and the door mirror heater switches do not work! So I guess I'll be pulling it out again this weekend to check and fit them back properly. :icon-rolleyes:

All-in-all very pleased, truck's running sweetly too, so all good. And as if to celebrate that, the truck turned over 170k miles on the commute to work today! :icon-cool:

:thumbup: Looks very solid nick. Drawers are still on my todo list.
I've had the grey one MOT'd today. Just one remark about a dent in the bodywork! So happy wheeling for another year.:dance:

Back