Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front hub overhaul...pending! Advice in the lead-up.

Some factual info to help with the stud issue. A few years back I had a stud break on the rear and simply ordered and replaced the six on that side. A short while later I ordered another six, you know for spares right? Today as my car was all four up and no wheels I thought it would be a good idea to check the studs. So trust my eyesight and tape as the vernier is somewhere safe.

Studs front and rear are 5 cm long, after the stud has passed through the rear flange there is 3.2 cm exposed to mount the wheel, on the front there is only 2.7 cm as the front flange is a lot thicker, to allow for the this the front studs holes are recessed a couple of mm.

Now I have never noticed this before but ONE of my rear studs (on the side not replaced in the past) was shorter than the rest, in fact a whole 3mm shorter! so 2.9 cm for mounting the wheel.

So I grab my spare studs still in the OE and unopened Toyota bag and they are the shorter version, i.e. 4.7 cm.

So if you want the longer (and correct) studs you do NOT want part number 90942-02049.

Now I doubt having the six shorter studs on the rear is going to be much of a big deal (I will change mine anyway as I am sad like that) but, given how much load the front studs take is it going to be a problem if you use the shorter stud, IMO yes, the thicker flange means you will only have around 2.4 cm of stud, add the thickness of the rim and not a lot left to put a nut on, given that Toyota felt it necessary to recess the front studs then using the shorter version you will be way under spec.

I cannot find the part number for the longer studs ATM but, if I come across it (or someone else does) I will post it here.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice one Towpack, something is wrong here though. The studs I have in an unopened pack from Toyota marked as per your 90942-02049 are 4.7cm long, the studs in the front on mine are 5.0cm long? Given the small amount left protruding I am thinking someone may have used the rear versions in the front assuming the splines were the same? When I ordered the six have I simply said can I have a set of wheel studs and I do not remember the parts guys asking front or rear?

So are the 02049 the replacement for all? Have to keep an eye on this one.

regards

Dave

Out of interest I've just measured the length of the protruding stud from the flange to tip and it's 27mm front and rear. Mines an all original 1995 UK 24 Valve. I'm so lucky having bought the car at only 3 years old and one previous owner who had kept it all original. Even the Scorpion alarm is original and works perfectly.

Interesting Frank, your numbers tie in perfectly with my fronts, why I have longer rear studs I do not know?

regards

Dave

Back