Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

Very funny, all I've done is add some lights and got rid of the rubbish cardboard/carpet tailgate cover! ;)

Good job you can't see the contents of my garage or store, then you'd really make fun :whistle:

Found a place near me to make some drawer boxes out of 18 gauge steel sheet with the tops folded over so there are no sharp edges
[attachment=3:25i7lg50]IMAG1007.jpg[/attachment:25i7lg50]
also got them to do me 4 dividers while they were at it for a grand total of £40 :)
[attachment=2:25i7lg50]IMAG1008.jpg[/attachment:25i7lg50]
I bodged a bit of wood and a catch on the front of them.
[attachment=1:25i7lg50]IMAG1011.jpg[/attachment:25i7lg50]
Still a bit of finishing to do but getting there.
[attachment=0:25i7lg50]IMAG1010.jpg[/attachment:25i7lg50]

Attachments

• IMAG1007.jpg
    IMAG1007.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 417
  • IMAG1008.jpg
    IMAG1008.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMAG1011.jpg
    IMAG1011.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMAG1010.jpg
    IMAG1010.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 402
I needed to cover the backs of the handle catches so there's no chance of drawer contents jamming it and also stop small things falling out the hole so I made a cover from some thin aluminium off the 'scrap' pile
[attachment=1:og15r9k0]IMAG1012.jpg[/attachment:og15r9k0]
Turned out ok
[attachment=0:og15r9k0]IMAG1013.jpg[/attachment:og15r9k0]
Need some shorter bolts to hold the front panel on and then I might paint the inside to tidy them up a bit.

Attachments

• IMAG1012.jpg
    IMAG1012.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 399
  • IMAG1013.jpg
    IMAG1013.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 395
nice work John. :thumbup:

still need to make some covers for the catches on my drawers. :think:

they did get jammed once, and the only way to open the drawers was to drive forwards and slam the brakes on. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fitted the rear wheel carrier this evening
[attachment=2:elc313cs]IMAG1017.jpg[/attachment:elc313cs]
Still got to decide where to put the number plate
[attachment=1:elc313cs]IMAG1020.jpg[/attachment:elc313cs]
[attachment=0:elc313cs]IMAG1022.jpg[/attachment:elc313cs]
or in the middle of the spare wheel again like on oily.

Attachments

• IMAG1017.jpg
    IMAG1017.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMAG1020.jpg
    IMAG1020.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMAG1022.jpg
    IMAG1022.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 308
Well don't forget your extra fog light!

Did it all fit OK Jon?

Chris

I have a nice LED fog light I'll fit soon :) Always a bit of a fiddle to get everything lined up right with these but yes it all went on ok Chris :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
I have a nice LED fog light I'll fit soon :) Always a bit of a fiddle to get everything lined up right with these but yes it all went on ok Chris :thumbup:
My rear bumper had the fog light on it, but it was large and looked a bit 'clunky' (you can see the two holes in the bumper where it sat) so I bought a very slim LED (25mm thick) one and fitted it beside the original on the tailgate, looks quite neat I think :think:

Attachments

• DSCN0609.JPG
    DSCN0609.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 392
Seems like it's a bit too tucked away to do it's job properly there Chas?

I've just sticky padded the number plate to the rear cross member for now so I've at least got a rear plate on but not sure if the towing electric sockets are a problem with almost obscuring it if you are quite low down ... might go and ask my local MOT man for an opinion because if I can get away with it then lighting it is easy there.

Opinions please?

[attachment=0:2wqhetzy]IMAG1025.jpg[/attachment:2wqhetzy]

Attachments

• IMAG1025.jpg
    IMAG1025.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 374
As a quick fix, can't see any issues with it being there..... however obscuring the club sticker may get you some infraction points :lol:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Seems like it's a bit too tucked away to do it's job properly there Chas?
When viewed from directly behind it's in plain view and the N/S one is still operational as well :thumbup:

Not much room there for those 35" Simex', Jon?? Spacer required, d'you think? :think:

;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The plate doesn't have to be central Jon. And whilst it might offend your sense of evenness, you could miss the wiring socket. Certainly lighting from each end will be very easy to achieve. Unlike mine! Where will you put the fog light?

Chris

From the reelvant legislation:

Fixing of registration plates: vehicles registered before the relevant date7.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered before the relevant date.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (4), a registration plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (3) on—
(a)the front of the vehicle, and
(b)the rear of—
(i)the vehicle or,
(ii)where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer or,
(iii)where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.
(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixed—
(a)in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and
(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable, in the case of a plate fixed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and, in the case of a plate fixed on the rear of the vehicle or trailer, from behind the vehicle or trailer.
(4) In the case of a motor cycle and a motor tricycle which does not have a body of a type which is characteristic of the body of a four-wheeled vehicle, a registration plate need not be fixed on the front of the vehicle.

From here

so seems to be OK wherever you put it.

PS: Don't know what the 'relevant date' is, but I suspect your's is OK?

Cheers

Gary Stockton said:
Not much room there for those 35" Simex', Jon?? Spacer required, d'you think? :think:

;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, guess I'll have to do without :mrgreen:

Chris said:
The plate doesn't have to be central Jon
True

Chris said:
Where will you put the fog light?
Still thinking about that. It could go on the wheel carrier tube is one option. If I put the number plate in the middle of the spare then the fog could go under the plate, or that would free up the cross member and I could stick it on down there ...

[attachment=2:30e7ih57]IMAG1025fog1.jpg[/attachment:30e7ih57]
[attachment=1:30e7ih57]IMAG1025fog2.jpg[/attachment:30e7ih57]
[attachment=0:30e7ih57]IMAG1025fog3.jpg[/attachment:30e7ih57]

Attachments

• IMAG1025fog1.jpg
    IMAG1025fog1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMAG1025fog2.jpg
    IMAG1025fog2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMAG1025fog3.jpg
    IMAG1025fog3.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 239
Can you not recess the LED one in the bumper, along with another one on the other side, and take the bulbs out the OEM ones? The led one does look very smart and not too 'in your face' ... much more sophisticated.

You only need one Gary. But if you take the bulbs out of the originals I think they'd be classed as not working so you'd need to blank them off completely. If it's there it must work. If it's not there .....

Chris

Oh - OK. Yes - only one is needed - but that must be on driver's side I think?

Where do the ones that are on the 80 with the OEM wheel carrier on from factory go?

Back