Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SHOOT ME!

I agree.. But im in a catch 22.. Coz im starting to have to spend money on the landcruiser...' Its a Buggers Muddle'

Understood. Does it have to be a Disco? If so, why? There are a couple of other "cheapie" options out there. Is it to bridge a gap of some sort?

Understood. Does it have to be a Disco? If so, why? There are a couple of other "cheapie" options out there. Is it to bridge a gap of some sort?
In reality I need a new Truck.. But it has to be able to handle my tri axle trailer... A good 100 series will be 10 grand.. 7/10 grand for a very good 80 series.. excellent colorados arnt cheap.. so in a moment of madness I started looking at disco's.. the disco 3 has got bad press. but I also know people who swear by them.. Mitsubishi/Nissan a definite NO. ... OR chuck a load of money at my Colorado and carry on as if nothing happened.... To be honest mate I don't know what the' F' to do..( while my collie is still plodding along):? But its good fun Havin the banter with the other Lads:)

Don’t forget Higgy, the real definition of “used” in the context of LR is “broken, about to break, incontinent, flawed, unreliable, and the like...” ....

Where’s that fish?

In reality I need a new Truck.. But it has to be able to handle my tri axle trailer... A good 100 series will be 10 grand.. 7/10 grand for a very good 80 series.. excellent colorados arnt cheap.. so in a moment of madness I started looking at disco's.. the disco 3 has got bad press. but I also know people who swear by them.. Mitsubishi/Nissan a definite NO. ... OR chuck a load of money at my Colorado and carry on as if nothing happened.... To be honest mate I don't know what the' F' to do..( while my collie is still plodding along):? But its good fun Havin the banter with the other Lads:)

I would recommend a mark 6 Hilux but I don’t they will pull the weight your looking at (2.5tons 2012 on) how about the Isuzu dmax double cab? Probably one of the most under rated trucks out there and can pull 3.5tons. You don’t hear much about them because they don’t seem to give any trouble, but that being underrated also makes them undervalued so there are some bargains out there.

I would recommend a mark 6 Hilux but I don’t they will pull the weight your looking at (2.5tons 2012 on) how about the Isuzu dmax double cab? Probably one of the most under rated trucks out there and can pull 3.5tons. You don’t hear much about them because they don’t seem to give any trouble, but that being underrated also makes them undervalued so there are some bargains out there.
I had a Hilux D4d..Didnt rate it, it was lovely to drive. but as soon as you showed it a trailer it Shat its self.. I was so disappointed I booked it in at Toyota Canterbury. They had it for about 3hrs couldn't find anything wrong. The chief Engineer said, 'That's how they are mate'.. so I got rid.. And after 3 hrs looking at it they never charged me a penny. which was nice... Isuzu ..Yes.. well worth a look impressive TRUCKS..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just buy an Isuzu Trooper and be done with it. Cheap as anything, very reliable, normally in great condition and 3.5t towing capacity. While you are using it, spend a little money on the Collie and move the Trooper on when you're ready.

Just buy an Isuzu Trooper and be done with it. Cheap as anything, very reliable, normally in great condition and 3.5t towing capacity. While you are using it, spend a little money on the Collie and move the Trooper on when you're ready.
They do tow well, but they also
Like to rust, a lot! Getting harder to find now.

I had a Hilux D4d..Didnt rate it, it was lovely to drive. but as soon as you showed it a trailer it Shat its self.. I was so disappointed I booked it in at Toyota Canterbury. They had it for about 3hrs couldn't find anything wrong. The chief Engineer said, 'That's how they are mate'.. so I got rid.. And after 3 hrs looking at it they never charged me a penny. which was nice... Isuzu ..Yes.. well worth a look impressive TRUCKS..
Was that the 2.5 or 3.0?

I had the SWB 3.1 Trooper. loved that truck. Engine was brilliant. I gave it to the Marina in the end to use as a shunter round the yard.. it was so catastrophically rotten underneath I wouldn't accept any money for it... As for my Hi Lux yes it was the 2.5 D4D so under powered it put me off getting another, I considered the 3.0 but at the time they were getting bad press over injectors etc . Even Toyota said the 2.5 was under powered but didn't seem to have the injector issues.. I thank you all for your advise and tips ( and piss taking) but im gonna get the cash together and go for 80/100 Series.. I think its the only way if I want to stick with my trailer work and with Toyota ;)

Oi! This isn't fair.. Its 4 against 1 now. ' I repent ' ' I repent' or should that be. 'I give in'

You could always buy a good Low mileage Collie in great nick,( never had a tow bar on). But petrol I'm afraid. I've sold the black Collie ( without an ad TBF) and might let the V6 one go as well. If I don't sell it I'll use it for the winter hack and keep the 120 in good condition.

You could always buy a good Low mileage Collie in great nick,( never had a tow bar on). But petrol I'm afraid. I've sold the black Collie ( without an ad TBF) and might let the V6 one go as well. If I don't sell it I'll use it for the winter hack and keep the 120 in good condition.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-L...UK-Vehicle-BLACK-AIR-CON-LEATHER/183332277247 This is what my budget could get me at a stretch.. the description looks ok and mot history isn't catastrophic, Iv been to view ones for around the same money and they are shocking underneath. Mostly from dealers that havnt a clue they rub some back to black on the dash board and palm it off as excellent... You get a bit more from enthusiasts, Id Hope. (Any body know this one)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-L...UK-Vehicle-BLACK-AIR-CON-LEATHER/183332277247 This is what my budget could get me at a stretch.. the description looks ok and mot history isn't catastrophic, Iv been to view ones for around the same money and they are shocking underneath. Mostly from dealers that havnt a clue they rub some back to black on the dash board and palm it off as excellent... You get a bit more from enthusiasts, Id Hope. (Any body know this one)

Its a bit more of a beast than the Collie but check the Torque converter problem has been seen to and the early ones had a weaker single cross shaft diff which was upgraded shortly after to a twin shaft version. ( I reckon thats right).
There are good 100's around but its that one in a hundred that you really want. The Collie's only done 77K and looks like it underneath.

Its a bit more of a beast than the Collie but check the Torque converter problem has been seen to and the early ones had a weaker single cross shaft diff which was upgraded shortly after to a twin shaft version. ( I reckon thats right).
There are good 100's around but its that one in a hundred that you really want. The Collie's only done 77K and looks like it underneath.
Thanks for the offer Andy.. I toyed with the Idea of a decent collie then keeping mine as back up for a life time of spares.. If I did it would have to be diesel.. Im very impressed with the Colorado its a very underated Truck.. When people compare it to the 80 or 100. It doesn't get the credit it deserves..

I had the SWB 3.1 Trooper. loved that truck. Engine was brilliant. I gave it to the Marina in the end to use as a shunter round the yard.. it was so catastrophically rotten underneath I wouldn't accept any money for it... As for my Hi Lux yes it was the 2.5 D4D so under powered it put me off getting another, I considered the 3.0 but at the time they were getting bad press over injectors etc . Even Toyota said the 2.5 was under powered but didn't seem to have the injector issues.. I thank you all for your advise and tips ( and piss taking) but im gonna get the cash together and go for 80/100 Series.. I think its the only way if I want to stick with my trailer work and with Toyota ;)
Mine was a 3.0 and pulled like a train, although some others have complained about them they seem to vary a bit (I suspect user error on the manuals, although the autos seeems to struggle). The 2.5 is deffo underpowered for heavy pulling.
Bear in mind a collie with a d4d is basically the same engine as the Hilux.
The 100 is of course newer than the 80 so less chance to have been seriously abused or serious rust, although they’re all of an age a negligent owner could have shagged them. I think sometimes 80s are victims of their own reputation.

@David runs Isuzu pickups for his business and speaks highly of them. I really don’t know about the towing side but David will almost certainly know.

@David runs Isuzu pickups for his business and speaks highly of them. I really don’t know about the towing side but David will almost certainly know.
I'm on my 3rd D-Max, now a 1.9 Blade auto, I pull 3.5 ton most of the time and 1 year on and 25k it has been faultless and out performs the older 2.5 engine

Ok, it’s time for a wee confession.

I entered enemy territory today. I had a site meeting with a chap I’ve seen a few times that was itching to get one of the new Discoveries. Well he rolled up in it today and invited me to hop in. Well, I didn’t want to seem rude so I did just that.

First impressions were that it seemed quite roomy though nowhere near as tall or off road styled as it’s predecessors. Good driving position, seat seemed pretty comfy. Loads of gadgets and gizmos in a dash that looked nicely designed. The gear …err thingy (tuning knob?) rises up when you start it…why? It can only be a selling point just because and the handbrake looks like a suitcase latch but generally the whole thing on the surface looked pretty neat and build quality looked good. Very good in fact. As a family car I think it’s up there with the best for layout and interior space. The guy loves it, even though he has done his homework in knowing there were some horror stories. Time will tell I guess but try as I might I couldn’t fault it for what it was.

Do I want one…nah. It didn’t do anything for me. Not a thing. Even when imagining it was made by Toyota or Mitsubishi.

Ok, it’s time for a wee confession.

I entered enemy territory today. I had a site meeting with a chap I’ve seen a few times that was itching to get one of the new Discoveries. Well he rolled up in it today and invited me to hop in. Well, I didn’t want to seem rude so I did just that.

First impressions were that it seemed quite roomy though nowhere near as tall or off road styled as it’s predecessors. Good driving position, seat seemed pretty comfy. Loads of gadgets and gizmos in a dash that looked nicely designed. The gear …err thingy (tuning knob?) rises up when you start it…why? It can only be a selling point just because and the handbrake looks like a suitcase latch but generally the whole thing on the surface looked pretty neat and build quality looked good. Very good in fact. As a family car I think it’s up there with the best for layout and interior space. The guy loves it, even though he has done his homework in knowing there were some horror stories. Time will tell I guess but try as I might I couldn’t fault it for what it was.

Do I want one…nah. It didn’t do anything for me. Not a thing. Even when imagining it was made by Toyota or Mitsubishi.

thats the thing, as I said before it's a very nice place to be, it's just living with it thats the problem.
it's basically a frigid bird in a sexy frock.

Back