Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SHOOT ME!

Wasn’t it the fastest production car on the road at the time?
I thought it was when pinned in the back seats... it was the Vauxhall carlton 4 d00r family saloon type. even badged up as a CD,(concours diplomatique) I think only the wheels and the Exhaust tail pipe gave it away.... I think Lotus had a pop at the 3litre Senator with its vinyl roof and Mag Star wheels.. Was ' me' favourite car in the 80s.. That and the 3litre Supra....

My father had a Clemont Talbot 1913 model not sure if it was made inEngland or France.They were imported into NZ as a chassis with the bonnet and lights and local body builders would do car bodies or in my dad’s case put a van body
on it as at that stage,he set up as a commission agent selling whatever during early depression days.Some years later a top mechanic & restorer got it and put a boat-tail body on it.I have seen it and it qualifies as a genuine veteran car.It had a 4 cylinder side valve motor.gate change gearbox and mechanical brakes.the hand brake was called the service brake and the foot pedal was emergency stops only.I played in it as a kid.Pat.
E44C04E0-110B-4485-8DF2-9826868CBB27.jpeg

My father had a Clemont Talbot 1913 model not sure if it was made inEngland or France.They were imported into NZ as a chassis with the bonnet and lights and local body builders would do car bodies or in my dad’s case put a van body
on it as at that stage,he set up as a commission agent selling whatever during early depression days.Some years later a top mechanic & restorer got it and put a boat-tail body on it.I have seen it and it qualifies as a genuine veteran car.It had a 4 cylinder side valve motor.gate change gearbox and mechanical brakes.the hand brake was called the service brake and the foot pedal was emergency stops only.I played in it as a kid.Pat.View attachment 147595
You havnt still got it tucked away in an old Barn have you?

Thing is all cars have faults and you have to manage that as best you can.

Look how many 80 series have been lost to the beb issues.

My Cousins Disco3 engine just let go. 80K miles, just ( a month ago) had a new oil pump ( for what reason I don't know). Driving along quite fine then "Low oil pressure" light came on, 2-3 sec later clatter like a skeleton tossing off in a brand new bin then locks up. Now its cooled down it will only rotate 90 degrees before locking up in either direction. He has a hire business so he buys a 16 plate Navara, guess what??, its broken dowm already, some sensor fell off.
I told him where he should have gone......

Was the oil pump the upgraded one?

Also was the oil filter fitted with the lug in it's location?

Not good for him. What's he doing with the disco?

Was the oil pump the upgraded one?

Also was the oil filter fitted with the lug in it's location?

Not good for him. What's he doing with the disco?

I don't know the answer to any of those except they know what they are doing with all things mechanical. I can't say that I'm impressed though.I do know that there are many out there Disco/RR which don't have too many problems but equally there are plenty out there that have turned into money pits.
Disco3's are well renowned as tow vehicles but I think one would be better served with a good 100 series for the same money.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What put me off the 100 was the rust and the boaty feeling.

I know what your saying about the gamble with engine.

I thought it was when pinned in the back seats... it was the Vauxhall carlton 4 d00r family saloon type. even badged up as a CD,(concours diplomatique) I think only the wheels and the Exhaust tail pipe gave it away.... I think Lotus had a pop at the 3litre Senator with its vinyl roof and Mag Star wheels.. Was ' me' favourite car in the 80s.. That and the 3litre Supra....
I had the next one down in the cav 4x4 turbo. Loved it. Should never have sold it...

My mate had the Sri version.. That went like Hell. Well ,In 1991 anyway.

Yep, my mate at the time ( in the 80's) had a nearly new Carlton 3000GSi, It was a real rocket ship in its day ( and spawned the revered Lotus version). It was the 12V version and I remember one Sat. night going to Cleethorpes down a deserted M180 at 145mph with the CC on and it did it easy.

Yep, my mate at the time ( in the 80's) had a nearly new Carlton 3000GSi, It was a real rocket ship in its day ( and spawned the revered Lotus version). It was the 12V version and I remember one Sat. night going to Cleethorpes down a deserted M180 at 145mph with the CC on and it did it easy.
Ha!Ha! Cleethorpes. What a place, My parents had a BB/Hotel in Skegness, and we would race our Xr3s and 205s up the A16 to Cleethorpes and back. I never knew what was worse, going to Cleethorpes or having to go back to Skeggy..:lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-foot-...638877?hash=item286032e09d:g:iSUAAOSw4aZbIqSu Change of plan again, Iv been inundated with attempted scams and messers since putting the tri axle on ebay. So im gonna keep it.Iv left it on ebay but changed the wording slightly.. not too offensive... il take it off after 24hrs. just hope someone from ebay read it..All I wanted to do was sell a trailer.. WHY is there always a scammer.' F@@:ng ' sick of it

You were brave trusting an 80s designed cruise control at 145 mph:shock:

You were brave trusting an 80s designed cruise control at 145 mph:shock:

I wasn't driving TBF more praying.

However the numerous times I traveled in the GSi I never failed to be impressed. It stuck to the road well in the twisties and would out accelerate most things of the day. He sold after about 4 years of wringing the life out of it and it was pretty well as good as the day he bought it, they must have been mechanically tough things.
I wish I'd bought it then and chucked it in the barn and brought it out now, you just can't get one today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-foot-...638877?hash=item286032e09d:g:iSUAAOSw4aZbIqSu Change of plan again, Iv been inundated with attempted scams and messers since putting the tri axle on ebay. So im gonna keep it.Iv left it on ebay but changed the wording slightly.. not too offensive... il take it off after 24hrs. just hope someone from ebay read it..All I wanted to do was sell a trailer.. WHY is there always a scammer.' F@@:ng ' sick of it
Selling on eBay can be a pain in the nuts these days.

:icon-biggrin:

144mph out of the cav on the A50...

:icon-biggrin:

144mph out of the cav on the A50...
Your as mad as AndycruiserGuy.. Saying that, I did top the Big 160 on a 1985 Gpz 900, on the M62. A car and caravan changed lanes about 3 miles ahead of me.... I nearly hit it, I vowed never again.. :auto-biker:

it was in a good friends huge garage in Ponsonby in Auckland.but we couldn’t go for a drive as his huge 1912 Renault and an even earlier Cadillac were blocking us in.I haven’t seen him for a few year but I’ll ring his phone tomorrow and see if he is still kicking.He was the best radiator builder in the country and sent 2 of his sons over to Aussie to set up in business over there.

it was in a good friends huge garage in Ponsonby in Auckland.but we couldn’t go for a drive as his huge 1912 Renault and an even earlier Cadillac were blocking us in.I haven’t seen him for a few year but I’ll ring his phone tomorrow and see if he is still kicking.He was the best radiator builder in the country and sent 2 of his sons over to Aussie to set up in business over there.
There is no room in my barn!

Back