Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

The only thing I can offer Oding is that most cars now sit on coil springs and most lorries on air bags so I would guess it's a dying art.

A quick search on YouTube brings up a few videos including this one in the states.

IMG_20170127_140326.jpg

IMG_20170126_070920.jpg

The only thing I can offer Oding is that most cars now sit on coil springs and most lorries on air bags so I would guess it's a dying art.

A quick search on YouTube brings up a few videos including this one in the states.

I agree with you StarCruiser, it is a dying trade. I plan to do it myself.

I agree with you StarCruiser, it is a dying trade. I plan to do it myself.
That doesn't surprise me Oding, I kind of thought that when I posted the vid. :) Doing it yourself I mean.

Last edited:
That doesn't surprise me Oding, I kind of thought that when I posted the vid. :)

Nothing beats a hands on approach.

My limited experience with leaf springs, reminds me that one set had little hard-wood 'packs' between the top leaf and the second row. They were worn/missing, so I made some from oak, and it took a lot of the harshness out of the spring, and lifted it a little.

I don't know how many leaves the 60 springs have, but IIRC, it's only the top 2 that govern ride-height, the others simply support them under heavier loads.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nothing beats a hands on approach.

My limited experience with leaf springs, reminds me that one set had little hard-wood 'packs' between the top leaf and the second row. They were worn/missing, so I made some from oak, and it took a lot of the harshness out of the spring, and lifted it a little.

I don't know how many leaves the 60 springs have, but IIRC, it's only the top 2 that govern ride-height, the others simply support them under heavier loads.

About what you shared regarding the piece of wood. I think that would work. Thickness and length of that wood will be a trial and error. Thank you.

About what you shared regarding the piece of wood. I think that would work. Thickness and length of that wood will be a trial and error. Thank you.

IIRC Oding, the springs I was talking about had a depression in the underside of the top leaf, about 7 cm short of the overlap with the second leaf, measured from the centre of the leaves.

It was very slight, maybe only 2mm, and circular, just enough to retain a carefully profiled disc of hardwood. It seemed very odd to me at the time for them to have used wood, and I suppose these days a polypropylene or similar would be used.

Just thought I'd mention it.

IIRC Oding, the springs I was talking about had a depression in the underside of the top leaf, about 7 cm short of the overlap with the second leaf, measured from the centre of the leaves.

It was very slight, maybe only 2mm, and circular, just enough to retain a carefully profiled disc of hardwood. It seemed very odd to me at the I suppose these days a polypropylene or similar would be used.

Just thought I'd mention it.
I've seen what you mean Clive. My Mk1 Shogun was on leaf springs at the back and had plastic pads snapped into punched oval holes in the springs to locate them towards the end of an otherwise flat strip. They were very thin, perhaps 2mm and I always thought they were there as bearing surfaces to stop the leaves squeaking.

I've seen what you mean Clive. My Mk1 Shogun was on leaf springs at the back and had plastic pads snapped into punched oval holes in the springs to locate them towards the end of an otherwise flat strip. They were very thin, perhaps 2mm and I always thought they were there as bearing surfaces to stop the leaves squeaking.

That's reassuring, I stared to wonder if I'd dreamed it Rich!

For sure, after replacing mine, the ride was much smoother, but I'd greased them as well so it was a combined effect. The lift gained was about 1/2 inch (10-12mm) IIRC.

Hi guys, I found a machine shop here in my locality of Dumaguete. It is one of the oldest and biggest machine shop around. Fortunately, they were able to bend all four primary and secondary leaf springs. (sorry, was not able to get the pictures of the springs before installation) They used a 3 roller machine used in rolling out flat steel sheets and making them into tanks or large tubes. It worked and i was able to lift the body by 2 inches. The lift greatly improved the ride and I am very satisfied. I don't know how long it will last. The price for all 4 sets is Php 2,000.00 (pesos) equivalent to US$ 40.00. This excludes the removal, dis-assembly and re-assembly and installation. Not bad.

DSC05279.JPG
DSC05280.JPG

Last edited:
I just got back on my long road trip. I would like to share the adventure I had. https://goo.gl/maps/tobxMgojb4J2 Attached is the map from my home to the destination of Vigan, Ilocos Sur. 1,484 km one way.

DSC05127.JPG

My daughter to the right.

DSC05128.JPG

The commander to the left (Navigator)

First stop was Iloilo City in the island of Panay.

DSC05132.JPG

Refreshment from a small shack with fresh fruits.

DSC05136.JPG

A beautiful spanish mansion, now a Museum

DSC05141.JPG

DSC05145.JPG

DSC05146.JPG

DSC05138.JPG

My daughter enjoying a fresh buko juice (young coconut fruit)

DSC05139.JPG

Mother and daughter

Last edited:
A tour to one of the oldest place in Iloilo City. This used to be the residence of the late Vice President Fernando Lopez. Not really in great shape but can take you back in time.

DSC05150.JPG

DSC05152.JPG

DSC05153.JPG

DSC05155.JPG

DSC05156.JPG

DSC05161.JPG

DSC05162.JPG

DSC05167.JPG

DSC05168.JPG

Last edited:
Stopped by for a pose over a valley with very large river in the Island of Mindoro, Philippines.

DSC05172.JPG

DSC05173.JPG

DSC05176.JPG

DSC05177.JPG

Breakfast with a beautiful view of the Taal crater lake.

DSC05178.JPG

DSC05179.JPG

DSC05183.JPG

DSC05186.JPG

On our way to Vigan City, Ilocos Sur. Vigan is a small town north of the Philippines in the Island of Luzon. It was occupied by the Spaniards during the 1800's. Remnants of their occupation is a street names "Calle Crisologo". we checked in to a hotel which is really spanish inspired.

DSC05202.JPG

Stop over for lunch in a Pizza parlor.

DSC05204.JPG

An old grand stairs leading to or hotel room.

DSC05207.JPG

The gates also dates back to the spaniard's occupation.

DSC05208.JPG

Last edited:
This is like you are walking back in time.

This is "Calle Crisologo," a street that is worth passing through.

DSC05210.JPG

DSC05212.JPG

DSC05213.JPG

DSC05215.JPG

DSC05216.JPG

A watch tower built in 1892. This had 8 bells all in all to alarm or signal the people of invading moros. There are 5 left and the rest are being displayed in museums and public buildings.

DSC05217.JPG

DSC05219.JPG

This church is amazing.

DSC05224.JPG

DSC05227.JPG

Prison galley.

DSC05229.JPG

DSC05231.JPG

DSC05233.JPG

Prison courtyard.

DSC05235.JPG

A line of vintage Calesa or a horse drawn carriage.

DSC05242.JPG

DSC05256.JPG

Last three pics below is a show-off of corruption and power by a warlord in this part of the region.

DSC05264.JPG

DSC05265.JPG

DSC05267.JPG

Last edited:
Been tracking this build from the very early days, I mist say what a great job you have done. And its nice to see the 60 now being used properly!

Back