Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheels, tyres and suspension

Very interested to hear what you think of your new tyres when you get them on Steve, I'm considering them for my 80.

Hi Steve, don't mean any dampers on this, but when I bought cheap steels, I found after unpacking them, they barely had any finishing paint on them.

They were done in an undercoat looking paint, but because they looked OK out of the box, I made the mistake of using them as they were. In less than 6 months they were mega rusty and I had to have them blasted and painted.

If only I'd had them painted before I put the tyres on and driven on them, I might have avoided the rust that's now re-appearing after 6 years.

Cheers - will look at the finish and make a decision - cant do anything until they come, well I could but the garage man may as well have the truck for a day and get it all done!

Will do - they look really chunky & strong and have some good & some bad reports - doesnt everything?

Yep. Mine have been good rims, taken some pretty hard rock hits and and general offroad abuse, and they're still round! The main problem is with the rust that started where the wheel centre meets the rim, on the weld between the two profiles.

I bought ten of them to have two full sets, road ATs and offroad MUDS. Made the same mistake with both sets! :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine were a bargain price and no sign of rust a year on so you might get lucky .

Mine were a bargain price and no sign of rust a year on so you might get lucky .

I hope so Shayne for Steve's sake. I thought the same, and you know what it's like, all the excitement of new wheels and tyres... Can't wait to get them on the truck!

I fell for that hook, line and sinker!

Hope they're good from the box, fingers crossed! :pray:

God i hate Hammerite , 20 years ago there was a craze of painting everything steel with it in the fishing fleet - it took some maybe 15 years for some to realize it somehow never really gives a sealed coating so everything rusts underneath and annual repaints just help hide the problem . Each to their own but i won't use it .

I found it good as long as you ignore the nonsense that it doesn't need an undercoat.

Give it a good base and it's probably the toughest paint on the market. It stays flexible and doesn't chip easily. JMO and experience.

You hit the nail on the head Clive and red lead is not undercoat .

he he he - guilty as heck so dont worry about it!
Black wheels on order man :)

I'll be interested to see what they look like as your truck is the same colour as mine,not sure whether to fit silver or black wheels on Sluug

Back