Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Had a busy day baselining the latest contraption to land at Lomas Towers. All 4 discs replaced and all calopers overhauled, rear dampers changed, rubbed up and painted brake pipe ends. Fair way to go but should get to Lincomb.

Did an oil and filter change, fitted new diesel and K&N air filter with new oil catch can. Waiting for some dry weather to change gearbox/ transfer box and axle oils, roll on the spring time.

Did a service on the "Toerag" yesterday. After many years of servicing my LC's and found them nicely laid out for servicing, i was expecting to have trouble (i have owned and worked on landrovers where oil splashes over diff casing etc)

But was pleasantly surprised. the oil filter is right at the top and once cracked drains the oil into back into the block, the fuel filter 5 allen bolts and out, airfilter a little bit more fiddly but easy enough.

Fuel consumption is pretty much the same as the LC120 around town, doing about 25mpg. Im still to take it on a good run but even on 60 mile trips along A roads its hitting 34mpg.

Not on the Landcruiser, but do tow it with the cruiser.. took the outdrive off my boat to to replace the uni-joints, bellows and gimbal bearing, the bearing is seized in the housing, been at it for a few hrs and am here now with calming beer in hand while it soaks overnight in 50/50 acetone/transmission fluid to try and free it up. I have exhausted my library of expletives at this vessel this afternoon, I hope tomorrow it decides to play nicer
2016-01-06 18.10.08.jpg

Changed both riffs, transfer case and gear box oils today, truck has only done 50,000 kilometres from new, oils ran clear like honey. New shoes fitted all round ( Cooper Discoverer stt pros) all ready for action.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not on the Landcruiser, but do tow it with the cruiser.. took the outdrive off my boat to to replace the uni-joints, bellows and gimbal bearing, the bearing is seized in the housing, been at it for a few hrs and am here now with calming beer in hand while it soaks overnight in 50/50 acetone/transmission fluid to try and free it up. I have exhausted my library of expletives at this vessel this afternoon, I hope tomorrow it decides to play nicer View attachment 142848
Thats a huge one sir! Nice boat :)

Beemer again this weekend, took the winter wheels off, 4 wheel alignment and a full detail inside and out,
Clay bar and decontamination, machine polish/compound, paint sealant, polished then ceramic coated. I'm knackered now

20180408_155205.jpg

Paint has a nice deep shine now

20180408_130259.jpg

80 will get the same treatment soon.

Beemer again this weekend, took the winter wheels off, 4 wheel alignment and a full detail inside and out,
Clay bar and decontamination, machine polish/compound, paint sealant, polished then ceramic coated. I'm knackered now

View attachment 142896

Paint has a nice deep shine now

View attachment 142897

80 will get the same treatment soon.

Great job there Gary...not that fond of black but when shining like that there's hope. :thumbup:

I’m guessing you like black Gary:icon-biggrin: The photo won’t do it justice. Black looks a million $ when it’s polished up but is probably the worst colour to keep clean. I had a black Disco which seemed to get dirty quickly even on dry roads in Summer!

I’m guessing you like black Gary:icon-biggrin: The photo won’t do it justice. Black looks a million $ when it’s polished up but is probably the worst colour to keep clean. I had a black Disco which seemed to get dirty quickly even on dry roads in Summer!

I like it when it's clean.
Not my first choice tbh but the 80 and the Beemer were both the right car at the right time.

In total including Thursday eve, sat and most of today I've spent around 15 hours on it!!!
When I bought it the valeters at work did a shocking job so had to correct their mistakes.

The ceramic coating should help to keep it clean and easier to clean. It'll be mostly contactless cleaning.

Had the truck Krowned today - I've been meaning to get some form of rust treatment done for ages and it just worked out that I had the day free and Rob didn't have any bookings - so made the appoint yesterday and was up in Tipton nice and early :thumbup:

I'm very pleased - time will tell what the product is like but I hear many good things. Highly recommend Rob - he has a real attention to detail and takes pride in his work. Some gratuitous before and after pics - as I'm sure you all know what a (rusty) 90 underside looks like..... :icon-wink:

According to Rob, it wasn't as bad as it looked - most (but not all) of it surface rust and for a 21 year old truck that lives outside and doesn't get pampered - pretty good. Hopefully this will see it out for a few more years. :thumbup:

getting there with the Mercruiser, replaced the gimbal bearing and bellows, also the U-joints on the double-cardan driveshaft
2018-04-13 11.21.44.jpg

Got up this morning to find an inch of water in the passenger footwell. The result of a blocked (again) front drain hole in the LH sill. This is where the sunroof front drain tubes end up. Cleared the drain with a cable tie and probably around 2 litres of water came out. Thing is, the water was perfectly clear, just like last time. No trace of rust or debris etc so heaven knows how it gets blocked. Must make a point of checking it now and again!

Well, today was new clutch day. Got the call from my mate to say the big ramp was free this weekend so job on. What an absolute NIGHTMARE!! The damn thing fought us every step of the way. Got all the bellhousing bolts out it wouldn’t budge. Then, with 4 of us wrestling it suddenly came free. The boxes are heavy! This is on a full size ramp with hydraulic trans jacks etc. Great! New pilot bearing, both plates and a new release bearing in. Now for the hard bit Can we eckerslike get the thing to mateup to the back of the engine. It’s almost there, maybe an inch away but won’t budge any further. Pretty sure the box shaft is in as the output flanges on the trans box turn with the crank but trying to force it any further and the engine becomes very hard to turn. We’ve abandoned it for the night and left it on the ramp with the box half in half out. Are we missing something here.? Any hints/tips much appreciated

Back