Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series rear Gullwing Doors

Hi rich
I use a company in Oldham called Hopwood gear. they have a largeish water cutter.

The md is called.Cory and he tries to get a quote back in 24hrs.

Drop my name and he will help you out.

Try Cutting Technologies in Barnsley for laser cutting services; no connection but I have used them for years... Good guys, great service :)

Hi, just joined and seen this theead, any links to options etc?
Many thanks

Thanks guys. That's great. I do prefer to be able to go in and see people and get things sorted face to face. I've gone back to the guys who did the originals yesterday and got a price back today. They've always been good with other things and have come back with a pretty good price to do the lot ready for powder coating and the painters I used before, pick up from them so it'll be neater.
I don't really care how they're cut and they can't be put together wrong now. These people are keen and have all the gear on site. The others were subbing out the laser work and had to use the guilotine belonging to the sister company next door.:icon-rolleyes:

Things have changed as the son who I always used to deal with has taken over and it's all buzzing and lively. I was welcomed like a long lost friend. :) I think a corner has been turned and I'm optimistic about these for the first time in ages.

Last edited:
Hi, just joined and seen this theead, any links to options etc?
Many thanks

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. There were initially a couple of options on these but they really weren't viable. The ones I'm doing have a frame round the back which makes them nice and strong and allows a cubby to be built out from and attached to the frame if you wish. There is also a Molle panel that attaches to the door and allows lightweight stuff to be attached to the back of the door

So have a little look at the build thread here when you've got the time. There's loads of photos and fitting instructions too. Build thread here:-

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1425394/

Molle panel buying thread here :-
https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/gullwing-door-molle-panel.146684/
:)

Do now pm me (start a conversation by tapping your name and selecting from the menu that drops down) for prices as they are yet to be set for club members but I hope to be able to very soon with the change in fabricators.

Lastly, do let us know a bit about you and your truck by popping over to the 'Introduce yourself' section. We're a real friendly bunch on here and like to get to know new members. We also love photos. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1, Bakkies, pair powder coat
2, LandelSur, pair powder. Molle
3, Hopeless Wanderer, pair powdercoated. Extra rams.
4, Rosy, pair, powder coat, 2 Molle, 2 Rubbers.

Hi StarCruiser,
Ill take a pair please, unpainted with flange please. Let me know much, delivery date and payment method please

Quick update on these, they have been at the finishers for the best part of two weeks now and I just had a call to say they will be ready early next week for collection. So, I'll be working on them when I can. Typically these have now fallen on top of a rather busy period for me but I'll do my best to get them put together and out the door just as soon as I can.

Progress!! :)

1, Bakkies, pair doors
2, LandelSur, pair doors. 2 Molle
3, Hopeless Wanderer, pair doors. Extra rams.
4, Rosy, pair doors, 2 Molle, 2 Rubbers.
5, Analogue Man, pair doors

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, glad you are pleased with them. Likewise good to meet up with you and Rosy and really pleased I could get you fitted up before your epic Balkan/Eastern Europe trip. Hope you have an excellent time and look forward to your trip report with some stirring photos of Gullwing doors at sundown (ok, and other photos of your trip :) ).

I'll be sure to capture them at every opportunity and update here as I go.

I think we're just about ready to roll. Some fettling left to do in the back but on the whole we're good to go.View attachment 126174

Good to see you too mate, safe travels and I cant wait to see the trip reports come in.

@StarCruiser thanks a lot for having us over and for the brews. As Sam said, the doors are a work of art and I couldn't be happier with the form and function. 10/10 all round1!..Now to build a kitchen :)

Balkans?

Eastern European trip?

Anywhere near us on the route Sam?

Balkans?

Eastern European trip?

Anywhere near us on the route Sam?

Yes Clive, we're doing the whole hog as far south as Albania and then back up toward Romania via Macedonia and Serbia. We're very keen on Romania and the plan is to explore the Sub Carpathians, of which Bucegi is highly anticipated, then follow the horseshoe north.

We're aiming to be there first week of July and explore for three weeks.

From memory, you are in Comarnic so I make that pretty much on our route.

Yes Clive, we're doing the whole hog as far south as Albania and then back up toward Romania via Macedonia and Serbia. We're very keen on Romania and the plan is to explore the Sub Carpathians, of which Bucegi is highly anticipated, then follow the horseshoe north.

We're aiming to be there first week of July and explore for three weeks.

From memory, you are in Comarnic so I make that pretty much on our route.

Correct, not far south of the Bugeci range at Busteni, on the DN 1 National Road.

I'm not sure of our movements in early July only that we won't be going to the house on the weekend of Sat 1 July, but please feel free to call in (weekends only I'm afraid) if you're passing, it would be great to meet another 'member' and if you have time, take a little run-out on "my patch". :lol:

If you're around on the weekend of Sat 8 July, then there's a good chance we can meet up. If you want, you can stay if your itinerary allows for it, as long as you wish. We'll be leaving on the Sunday evening, but you can have the keys for as long as you like.

I'll send you a 'conversation' message with my phone number, you can call or message me on that at any time 24/7.

I'm rather envious of your trip, I've travelled to Albania for work trips on many occasions, but there's never been an opportunity to get out and about. It's a beautiful country, not unlike Romania, but without the cold winters.

I'm guessing the 'horseshoe north' will take you Suceava way, Gura Humorului and Vatra Dornei are nice places but the whole area up there is mountain scenery, just open Google Maps on a 'relief' setting or 'satellite' and aim for the hills :icon-biggrin:.

Drum Bun as they say here (or Bon Voyage in other foreign), have a safe trip and take care.

Correct, not far south of the Bugeci range at Busteni, on the DN 1 National Road.

I'm not sure of our movements in early July only that we won't be going to the house on the weekend of Sat 1 July, but please feel free to call in (weekends only I'm afraid) if you're passing, it would be great to meet another 'member' and if you have time, take a little run-out on "my patch". :lol:

If you're around on the weekend of Sat 8 July, then there's a good chance we can meet up. If you want, you can stay if your itinerary allows for it, as long as you wish. We'll be leaving on the Sunday evening, but you can have the keys for as long as you like.

I'll send you a 'conversation' message with my phone number, you can call or message me on that at any time 24/7.

I'm rather envious of your trip, I've travelled to Albania for work trips on many occasions, but there's never been an opportunity to get out and about. It's a beautiful country, not unlike Romania, but without the cold winters.

I'm guessing the 'horseshoe north' will take you Suceava way, Gura Humorului and Vatra Dornei are nice places but the whole area up there is mountain scenery, just open Google Maps on a 'relief' setting or 'satellite' and aim for the hills :icon-biggrin:.

Drum Bun as they say here (or Bon Voyage in other foreign), have a safe trip and take care.

That would be excellent Clive. That is a very kind offer, thank you. I will arrange our itinerary so that we can stop in on the 8th for a beverage and a fire. I'm looking forward a bimble about on your patch!

Happy days!! Roll on July

I'm spending the weekend building these up.
One thing that was highlighted over last weekend is that the tabs for the gas struts are bending slightly under the force of the gas strut. It looks like this is down to the grade of Ally used so next batch these will be stronger like the first batch. In the meantime those with Molle panels aren't affected as the Molle panels stiffen them up so they don't move. Those without on the other hand will be supplied with a 10mm Ally bar between the two tabs inside the doors. Like this:-IMG_1283.JPG

This will be on this batch only as I will ensure the material is as per my original design and drawings for the next batch. Meanwhile this can be used for all sorts of things, hanging rail, lighting attachment, that sort of thing.

Hope this is ok with everyone. :)

Last edited:
Well that didn't go as planned! I got the sum total of 5 doors made up and have rejected the rest for various imperfections so they'll have to go back for reworking. :angry-screaming:

I'll be boxing up two sets for despatch though. :)

Back