Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introducing Lilly Bird

The big empty space, driver side, where the tray will go in.

20160615_100537.jpg

And the electrics on the side. The relay is for the front spots.

20160615_100546.jpg

Am hoping there is enough space on the side after the battery drops in, for a little fuse box.

The aim is to then take a reasonably thick cable back to the boot, setup another fuse box and build up a few power points there. Longer term once we have storage stuff sorted out, it might make sense to hard wire the fridge and lights from the fuse box and just use switches.

Also, want to drop in an anderson plug outside, at the back, to get power if needed into the tent or awning space.

Humm...

Hey GoK,

I did the same thing in my 105. I got a local fabricator to make up a battery box which sits neatly in the empty space and mounted the split charge unit onto it (if i'd thought id have drilled a few more holes in because its useful real-estate). The battery then sits in the box and is clamped in nicely. Just about managed to squeeze in a 110Ah battery. If you want the plans drop me a pm with your e-mail address and i'll send them over.
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg

Its then run back to some busbar and fuse panel in the back.

IMG_1279.jpg

Also, regarding your fuel filters, they are both (according to a number of African mechanics who I asked) both fuel filters. Toyota doubled them up due to the poor quality of fuel available in some parts of Africa and Asia.

hi Nick, thats pretty much where I want to get to as well. I thought a lot about a box rather than just a battery base, and for the exact same reason as you mention - lots of real estate to screw stuff onto; and I can quite see a fair bit of kit needing to go in that region. But in the end the base plate was much lighter and simpler in overall specs and layout. So went with that. However, very keen to see your design - PM sent.

Do you have a good source for those pre-fuel-filter-filters ? Since its there, I might as well keep it - but not if I cant service it / replace it as needed.

Thanks!

Been trying to track down cables and reading up on the wiring loom.

There is this yellow connector just behind the headlights, not plugged into anything on either side. Anyone know what these are for ?
20160619_145726.jpg 20160619_145910.jpg

Then I have this one, right next to the fuse box behind the starter battery, again its a part of the original cables. What might this be for ?

2016-06-19 16.47.21.jpg

20160619_145935.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally, I have these two chaps right behind the driver side firewall next to the brake fluid. They both come from the harness along the side of the engine bay.
2016-06-19 16.43.22.jpg

Another one... Got this in the cab, driver side, next to the spots switch... any guess's as to what it might be ?

20160619_103352.jpg

The blue light is somehow wired into this plug as well.

Regards,

Can't help with ones in the main harness. Extras for higher spec and they just made one loom

The black one on the dash with red led is an immobiliser plug that put a fob into before start
Not seen one of those for a few years!!

Can't help with ones in the main harness. Extras for higher spec and they just made one loom

The black one on the dash with red led is an immobiliser plug that put a fob into before start
Not seen one of those for a few years!!

Ah that explains a few things. I have removed 2 partial alarm systems from the truck already. Guess this was wired into one of them. At some point they were fitted in and deactivated, but bits left in. Good news here is that I guess some of my dash space just became available!

W.r.t the loom, that might be it. One loom many specs.

Thanks!

Hi!

I can confirm this is an immobilizer
I have had a few of thse on high end cars in the past
Even had one very similar in a Toyo LC Rental in South Africa this year.

Great looking LC btw. I drove one similar to this the other day, but it had had extended bodywork & a conversion done to it. Will not clutter U`r thread with "foreign" pics... :)

Thanks!

By way of an update, things have been slow.

After the Scotland trip we did another 5 day trip out towards cornwall in Aug. The truck however sits almost exactly as I got it. Just not had the time to get the plans into place as yet. Work being hectic and summer holidays for the kids etc, time has been hard to come by.

Regards

Another update, no progress on any of the major plans as yet. the ctek D250s is still sitting in its box...

Since the last trip, we took it over to France for a few days. And Lilly Bird just stayed boring and out of the way. Then we were at the Adventure Overland show - good to meet everyone, but had to make a late night run back on Saturday.

I have a little experiment running at the moment with a spare battery in the front - I've got an old Chinese made android phone in a metal case ( no screen etc ) hooked up. And am trying to get that be my main 'metrics collection' piece. Have got relative velocity and some temp sensors around the truck wired up doing some graph works. nothing very exciting, yet.

regards,

Hi,

the last time we were out, we had ~ 480Kg of payload ( this includes 116 Kg, at 0.8kg/ltr of Diesel - and the 4 of us ); And I noticed a bit of a saggy bottom syndrome creep in. The steel front and back bumper and the heavy tow mount bar are likely not helping either ( no idea what they weight ).

480Kg to 600 Kg is likely a good optimal place to be ( by my wild guess ), and while we might optimise ( there is plenty of scope for it ), we might only replace it with other bits, eg: a metal storage frame is in the plan, skipping on the heavier drawers like system. And at the moment we carry 25Lt of water, I want to try and see if we can get to 40 instead. I'd also like to keep the steel bumpers front and back, but lose the tow bar. That should save us some weight.

The present suspension all looks stock oe from 2001, and I suspect is starting to just get a bit tired - so given the above, what sort of an upgrade / sidegrade would you guys recommend ? Definitely want to get over the saggy bottom bit, but also want to keep the truck usable without all the kit in.

regards,

If I were you speak to Chris ( blown 80 on here) he has a great sheet to work out what you need plus great advice.

You can then order from Stan

Might be wrong here but yellow plugs these days are often for air bags.

Do you have air bags fitted?

If yes, then the spare might be for extra side bags or something.

Might be wrong here but yellow plugs these days are often for air bags.

Do you have air bags fitted?

If yes, then the spare might be for extra side bags or something.

Thats likely what it is. Have invested in a service manual that covers the wiring loom. Just need to find that lazy afternoon to look through it :)

If I were you speak to Chris ( blown 80 on here) he has a great sheet to work out what you need plus great advice.

You can then order from Stan

Sounds like a plan!

Thats likely what it is. Have invested in a service manual that covers the wiring loom. Just need to find that lazy afternoon to look through it :)

If you do have airbags, I would be very careful poking anything into that plug, even just a tester.

They're very sensitive and it doesn't take much to fire them off!

Back